Information about the Program
Saint Mary's College of California offers a dual degree, or 3+2 Engineering Program. This means that students take basic science and core curriculum courses in their first three years at SMC, and then finish their engineering degree in the remaining two years at a second school. Students in this program receive two degrees when they finish at the engineering school: a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts from SMC and a Bachelor of Science in their chosen engineering field from the second school. SMC has different agreements with two Engineering schools: Washington University in Saint Louis, and USC.
Agreement with Washington University of Saint Louis
If a student maintains a 3.25 GPA (overall and in their science courses) and takes the courses required (listed at Wash U and in the SMC catalog) they are guaranteed admission to Wash U. Wash U also offers a simplified transfer process. (See links to the right.)
Agreement with USC
SMC is on the short list of schools that have negotiated a transfer agreement into USC's 3+2 Engineering Program. Students from schools not on this list may not even apply. We have negotiated that a variety of our courses transfer to USC. There is no guaranteed admission to this program.
Suggested three-year plans
Please talk with an advisor in Physics to check for things like: Physics 60 is only offered in Fall semesters, Physics 181 in spring semesters, Physics 110, 115, and 125 are offered alternate years, and things like that.
J-Term at Wash U
We strongly recommend that students take a Jan Term course at Wash U during the December/January of their Sophomore and/or Junior years. They typically offer two courses you can choose from: a statics courses and a circuits course. More about the program is here, and the flyer is here.
Quick Links and Info:
Deadlines for transfer to Wash U and USC are fast approaching.
As are deadline for summer interships and research projects.
Jessica Kintner's Information:
- Office: Gal 106-B
- Office hours: by appointment
- email: email@example.com
J-Term at Wash U
- J-Term at Wash U has concluded. Please send your official transcripts from Wash U to SMC so you get your SMC Jan Term credit.
Transfer Deadlines and links:
Washington University in Saint Louis
- Application process open Dec 17- Feb 28 Please do not apply until your fall grades have been recorded.
- Wash U application is here For Wash U, please do not use the Common Application.
- You will also need to send an official transcript.
- In addition to the 3+2 application below, USC requires all students to complete the Common Application and a USC Writing Supplement by: Feb 1. See this page for all details
- Open Jan 7-Mar 31, 2019, 3+2 Application deadline: 3+2 application to USC is here
- In addition, you will need a letter of recommendation from your advisor.